MBA Internships – An Overview
MBA, or Masters of Business Administration, is a degree which specializes in management of business operations, finance, strategy, and other business areas. An MBA is a highly valued degree in today’s much more competitive economy. Leading companies all over the world offer MBA internships with hopes of hiring the intern upon graduation.
Benefits of MBA Internships
MBA internships help students gain relevant experience in a specific industry. If you do well, there is a good chance of full-time employment. Moreover, students who get MBA internship experience typically gets more job offers and higher salaries those without internship experience. In fact, it has become standard to do summer internships while you are pursuing your MBA.
As an MBA intern, you will connect with more senior-level professionals at financial institutions, service providers and consulting firms. This will greatly benefit you in building your network and may help you in your future employment.
Examples of Top MBA Internships
Below are some examples of MBA internships that are offered at some of the top companies in the world.
- Google, the internet giant, tops the list of ‘Best MBA Employers 2013’. The interns working at Google get a chance to solve real world problems that have global impact. Google offers 10-12 week MBA internships to top students all over the world in the areas of product management, sales, finance, marketing, and people operations.
- McKinsey & Company occupies second position on the list of ‘Best MBA Employers 2013’. Headquartered in New York, McKinsey and Company is a privately owned management consulting firm that does all type of consulting work in various industries including national governments, private sector, and public foundations. It offers paid internships under the category of ‘Business Analyst Interns’ for 8-12 weeks to students enrolled in an MBA program.
- Apple, headquartered in Cupertino, California, is amongst the top five employers of MBA graduates. MBA internships at Apple look after strategic business initiatives ranging from real estate development and design to finance and marketing. Apple offers summer and co-op internships in finance and marketing. Numerous internship applications are open to MBA students.
- Bain & Company is a global management consulting firm. It holds a prominent position in the business industry. The company is based in Boston, Massachusetts. Bain & Company’s advisory services are taken by some of the world’s largest businesses, nonprofit organizations, and governments. Bain offers Summer Associate programs to students from business schools.
- Boston Consulting Group, ranked 4th on the list of ‘Best Companies to Work For’ by the Fortune Magazine in 2013, is the world’s leading advisor on business strategy. BCG offers award winning MBA internship programs in which the interns work on real projects and receive unmatched mentoring by world-class BCG consultants. Applications for internship program may be submitted online during any time of the year. The internships last for 2-3 months.
- Amazon, based in Seattle, Washington D.C., is the world’s largest online retailer. MBA interns working with Amazon are made to work on projects that involve launching new products, optimizing the customer experience and researching for future business investments.