1021 Main St. Suite 1200
Waste Management Description
The successful Fleet and Logistics Intern(s) will provide technical administrative support to the Fleet Sustainability Engineering Group. The ideal candidate will be analytical and comfortable handling large amounts of data.
WM collection fleet consists of 90% class 8 and 10% class 7 vehicles. The challenge will be to determine the optimal configuration and size of vehicle (class 8, 7, 6 or 5) we should purchase for future use. The Ideal candidate will be mechanically minded, analytical and will possess an understanding of basic financial principles. Internship responsibilities will include the following:
• Analysis of lower purchase price
• Analysis of lower maintenance cost
• Analysis of higher maneuverability
• Analysis of lower fuel consumption per truck
• Analysis of potential electrification ability
• Analysis of lower payload capacity
WM has about 5,000 yellow iron equipment (e.g. Caterpiller, etc.) Many of these machines are on our landfill. Their function is to spread, compact and cover trash every day. The successful intern's responsibilities will include but not be limited to the following:
1. Compile data from various Fleet and Logistics databases.
2. Understand Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) emission estimation model.
3. Perform data cleanup, analysis, etc. to prepare it to feed into the model.
4. Ability to quantitatively compare year to year results.
5. Document findings including reasons for increase or decrease in emissions.
Waste Management 2 Full-time, Paid Responsibilities
Interacts with and conducts various duties and responsibilities for one or more functional teams in order to develop new skills and learn new areas of the business. Interns gain practical experience, relevant to their field of study, prior to college graduation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
• Uses problem solving skills, determines problems, and understand fundamental parts of the problem.
• Conducts analysis as directed, and prepares and delivers insights and recommendations based on analysis.
• Synthesizes findings and draws conclusions from analyses and makes oral/written recommendations to supervisor and/or manager.
• Executes tasks directly related to functional projects and/or process improvements.
• Communicates issues and roadblocks related to areas of responsibility.
Waste Management 2 Full-time, Paid Requirements
Currently pursuing Bachelor's degree in technical field of study such as Mechanical Engineering and/or Business degree