STEM-SMART is an online education and mentoring community of high school and college students, colleges and universities, and U.S companies designed to increase the pipeline of U.S graduates, employees, and citizens in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.)
STEM-SMART, in partnership with Western New York Girls Scouts, is launching a STEM magazine in Fall 2014 to serve as a trusted, go-to resources for high school students, college students, teachers, guidance counsellors, parents, and employers on STEM related information and knowledge, events, activities, initiatives, internships, college counselling and career pathways. The magazine, STEMatters, will launch its first inaugural issue in Fall 2014. Standard features of the magazine include:
a. Profile a STEM student (higher education focus)
b. STEM activities for K-12
c. Parents Q & A
d. STEM Community Resources
e. Career Corner (articles/interviews/template for step-by-step approach/company profile etc)
Dr. Uma G
PlanetGPA.com 3 Part-time, Unpaid Responsibilities
The organization seeks English or journalism major or any liberal arts major with a strong interest in media, public relations, technical writing, and journalism. Previous experience in working with editorial teams at newspapers or magazines is highly desirable, but not required. Good communication skills, positive attitude, and ability to work independently is essential. Strong organizational skills and professionalism and ability to interact with multiple stakeholders is critical.
Start Date: Immediate
Number of hours: 20
Location: Virtual with regular meetings at:
High Tech Rochester, 150 Lucius Gordon Drive, Henrietta.
If interested, please submit your resume with cover letter to the following email address. References will be needed for candidates that are short-listed.
Position is available year-round.
PlanetGPA.com 3 Part-time, Unpaid Requirements
• Support Editor-in-Chief in all activities leading to publication
• Liaison effectively with other key stakeholders
• Organize and research articles and features
• Edit manuscripts;
• Respond to phone and email queries for subscriptions and advertisements
• Write articles relevant to the magazine
• Work with a team of volunteers to build the magazine’s brand
• Build social media strategies to increase readership
• Conduct online research on latest developments in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.) This includes identifying and downloading white papers, research reports, media articles, and other relevant research.
This internship will benefit the student in the following ways:
1. Hands-on experience and training in launching a print and online magazine
2. Hands-on experience and training in writing and editing a magazine for the general public
3. Training in brand development and social media strategy
4. Building one’s personal leadership potential